Thursday, March 4, 2010

And Ode to Spring, An "O Dear" to Winter.

Let the celebration begin - for it is March, which is almost Spring, which is such a warm & fuzzy, beautiful, welcome, comforting thought.

In the mornings, when I poke my head out of the french doors in our kitchen, I can hear birds singing that lovely morning melody of dawn. Birds that I haven't heard all winter are starting to return and thank the Lord for the coming of Spring.

It smells different too - must be the scent of dormant life waking up from it's winter's snooze. It smells fresh and earthy, different from the wet scent of frosty, old snow.

Perhaps that is why I have such an acute fondness for birds! They get to go south for the winter! My "inner-bird" seems to shut-down and daydream of sweet summer days and the thankful-song that resides in my soul gets plugged up with... snow.

Instead, my "inner-bear" begins foraging and baking and eating cinnamon rolls, cookies and whatever else is around the house in preparation for the hibernation season. Oh lovely, winter weight gain. uugh.

There is something to be said about being thankful in all seasons, isn't there? I mean, if all I did was moan about the woeful days of wintry darkness, I would certainly be such a crank to be around... all. winter. long.

Hmm... come to think of it, I don't recollect having anything good to say about winter this year. My husband and I were both commiserating about how we don't enjoy winter like we used to. We say this as we begin the 28 minute, multiple coat, boot, thermal layering process of our children, just so we can drive a 1/4 mile down the road for a visit with the folks.

I am not a fan of being cold. I do not find happiness in my extremities feeling as though they might fall off if I stay outside in this frigid cold a second longer than necessary.

Our road is less than lovely for travelling in the winter and we don't have four-wheel drive, so several times throughout the winter we park the van, all pile out and walk up our hill; Jason and I trying to keep the kids from sliding on the ice which would induce further winter-trauma.

Then there's the Cabin Fever. Stuck. Stuck in the house. Snowy-isolation breeds insanity, I say. We should have installed a room with padded walls for the kids to bounce themselves off of in these wintry-stuck-times, because I'm not sure how much longer the house will handle the abuse.

Stuck - so I can commiserate with myself about how I don't. like. winter. And how it's always cloudy... and how I haven't seen the sun for 357 hours...

Yep, I was a cranky, cranky winter girl.

Yep, I missed the mark. I missed the rejoicing in all things-bit, or blessing the Lord oh my SOUL-bit. I chose not to see the beauty in all the things God has given. Of being thankful in EVERYTHING.

Sure, I had my little moments of "*humph* the snow-covered-everything is kinda pretty". Once, I enjoyed watching the snow fall and that deep peace that comes with it - when it feels like the entire world is silent and calm. Yes, I had my moments, but not deep inside where the stuff that comes out of my soul was, well, pleasant.

*deep, sorry, sigh*

Do I think the Lord is mad at me for missing this mark? No, but I do think He is disappointed by my lack of praise and gratefulness. Sad with my not grasping His promises that say I can have abundant life, joy in all things and the power to overcome my own thoughts and irksome will.

From where I sit and write this post, I can look out the window and see the mountains with their greyish frosty tops and the snow that is still lingering under the trees on the hills and the sky that is full of clouds and the day that is grey and weary.
Well, that's one way of looking at it anyway... let's try again.
I look out the window...
I see a big, strong evergreen tree, too tall to see the top. It stands erect and beautiful in every season, with every drop of rain, flake of snow, torrent of wind or beating sun. It is a safe place for birds to rest, squirrels to frolic and the occasional bear to climb. Sometimes it drops an old branch or two, a few old needles and pine cones - shedding the old to make way for the new. And it's always pointing up, arms outstretched to receive what comes and arms outstretched as though thankful and praising it's creator.

I think I have a few things to learn yet (ha!), a few more ways to be thankful and a whole lot more praising from my soul to do.

But, goodness, am I glad Spring is coming.

Thou sendest forth Thy spirit, they are created; and Thou renewest the face of the earth

May the glory of the LORD endure for ever; let the LORD rejoice in His works!

Who looketh on the earth, and it trembleth; He toucheth the mountains, and they smoke.

I will sing unto the LORD as long as I live; I will sing praise to my God while I have any being.

Let my musing be sweet unto Him; as for me, I will rejoice in the LORD.

Psalm 104:30-34





2 comments:

  1. I may give give tutorials on sewing, but you give tutorials on virtues and life :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Becky - You are so encouraging!

    ReplyDelete