Thursday, February 18, 2010

Laughter Is The Best Prozac

If any of you know me very well, or have ever lived with me, you know I can be rather serious, melancholy and down right moody at times. In fact, all my life I have struggled with that stupid self-pity demon, which always makes one see the glass as half empty.

Being Melancholy isn't a bad thing, it's usually the personality trait of some of the most talented musicians and artists, but it can be suffocating at times. Feeling like you can't get out of the "pit of despair" as Anne (of Green Gables) would put it.

Consequently, the Father ever so strategically, placed people in my life, from the beginning, who had a great sense of humor. My father being the first. That man can wake up happy - singing songs even! Without a cup of coffee first, or a shower! The horror! I remember many a Saturday waking up to the smell of french toast cooking and the sound of my Papa singing some variation of an old song he knows - and usually, ahem... with great zeal.
Now, one has to be in a pretty darn sober mood to not crack a smile at that. He is such a jovial man. But, please Pop, no tickling, and don't ask any questions, until I have woken up a bit (like I ever said it that nicely).

My brothers also played a large part in the 'people who made me laugh' group as well. Oh the stories...

Mom? well, she and I are rather equal in jovial-ness, especially in the mornings. Together, we have a lovely time, and can just BE.

Throughout life after 'home' there were friends who made me laugh, of coarse. Being an introvert, I am always drawn to the extroverts - who amaze and befuddle me - and make me laugh.

Then I married. Had I realized the power of laughter and that I needed a man who could make me laugh, I would have had that on the top of my "What I Want in a Mate" list. But God knew. BOY, did he know. I remember asking the Lord for a man who could understand me, 'cause I thought that would be quite a challenge for anyone. But my husband seems to go right through the "understanding me" issue and goes right to the heart of the matter, having the ability (most of the time, mind you) to make me laugh - at myself! What in the world? I didn't know I was sooo funny... er.. make that my melancholy-moods are rather ridiculous and hilarious when one sees herself behaving like such a silly. For the love of Sam, lighten up - that's me talking to myself.

When self-pity comes knocking at my door, and ringing the door bell, and rapping on the windows... errgh, I just have to open the door and laugh in it's face. "Get lost. Yes, I feel under-appreciated sometimes and I'd like to GET OUT and go shopping once in a while...by myself, but goodness, I don't want you hanging around reminding me of such fribble!".

Knock, knock, who's there? pity. pity-who? Exactly.

I am so thankful for the laughter my darling husband, my family and friends bring. I have lots of loosening up to do yet. Sometimes, I just have to dance like an idiot in front of my kids to lighten myself up and make them laugh... soon I'm rolling on the floor laughing too.... and what was I so down about anyway? huh, I don't [want] to recall.

Just laugh. It feels good.









4 comments:

  1. I must say that you've got a knack for emotional writing, which I happen to think is the best kind... I almost cried because I always relate to what you say in some kind of way. You've taken to the blogging world quite amazingly if you ask me! I personally am not a melancholy type personality, but I do hit those moods you mentioned just as easy these days. Anyway, keep writing cuz I love reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And did someone cut Tony's head outa that pic of the four of you in your post?? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the love Becky. Yeah, I think mom did cut his head out because she liked the look he had here better - I think she put this in a family newsletter way back. :) I had forgotten about that - good eye!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gotcha!!! Well, I clicked on each pic and I saw the line... had to ask!! LOL

    ReplyDelete